March 30, 2012

Yummy Healthy Pizza.


Tried this recipe, which I got from Jen Loves Kev, a couple of weeks ago. I actually made it myself. Jimmy usually cooks in our place. Even though I enjoy cooking, I just don't have the time! Plus, I'd say that he enjoys it more. And I'm the baker, yep. Anyway, this recipe is delicious. I wanted to find a recipe that used a leafy green other than spinach because I like incorporating new/different iron-packed ingredients into our diets (though we haven't had any since, ha!).  And, double bonus: it uses sweet potato, which contains high amounts of beta-carotene (don't ask me what this is, I just hear it's "nutritious"). Well, enough delay. Here is the recipe: 

Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza

Ingredients:
- 1 large sweet potato
- Olive oil
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- Milk or soymilk (I used milk)
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 1 prepared whole wheat pizza crust 
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese (this is important!)
- salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stab sweet potato several times with fork and roast in oven for about 45 minutes, or until soft. Cool until potato is warm. Leave oven on.While potato is baking, heat oil in pan over low heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally for 30-40 minutes. Add kale to pan and cook until tender and wilted. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Scoop insides of potato into medium bowl and mash; add milk, sage, and salt and mix until smooth. Spread mixture onto pizza crust. Top with kale and onion mixture, and then add cheese on top. Bake pizza in oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until kale begins to crisp and cheese melts.

Happy Weekend! xo Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely thoughts: