February 20, 2012

DIY Vanilla and Pink Grapefruit Body Scrub


I made these body scrubs before Christmas to give as Christmas gifts to a few friends and some family members. I totally meant to do a blog post on how I made them but have only gotten a chance to now! I made one for myself and it left my skin feeling super soft and moisturised but also exfoliated. Although they are super easy to make, they do require a few ingredients that can be pricey. However, I found a great online Canadian shop (located in Toronto) that sells organic ingredients for a really great price. And the shipping is also reasonable. Check it out here. The owner of the shop, Tracey, actually helped me narrow down my ingredients and figure out the kind of scrub I was interested in making! However, the original scrub recipe I found here, which is a Nova Scotia-based website. I picked up the glass containers for the scrub at the Dollarama! I also doubled the recipe to fill the jars I had above.

"Skin-so-soft" Vanilla and Pink Grapefruit Body Scrub

2 cups turbinado (raw sugar) or demerara sugar (get Fair Trade if you want to make an organic scrub)
1/2 cup (or slightly less) coconut oil (this oil is solid but it melts at skin temperature and is great for moisturising and softening skin)
1/4 cup (or slightly less) avocado oil (great for dry skin)
20 drops vanilla 3% in jojoba oil (a great aphrodisiac!) 
20 drops pink grapefruit essential oil (eases muscle stiffness and fatigue) 
Honey for smoothing the texture if the scrub is too dry (I used quite a bit)

Mix all ingredients and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your lovely thoughts: