This is one of the best diners I've ever had. I came across the recipe on Jen Loves Kev (an amazing blog, by the way!) and Jimmy made it Tuesday night for us. We had leftovers for dinner last night and it was just as good. There is so much flavour and so many textures, it's just incredible! It's also satisfying and very nutritious!
Sweet Potato Stew with Kidney Beans
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups or so cubed peeled sweet potato
1 can, drained red kidney beans
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped jalapeños, drained
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Add sweet potato and next 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on medium until sweet potatoes are tender. Maybe 30 mins.
3. Take a potato masher and mash up your stew so it becomes thick and chunky.
4. Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add peanut butter; stir well with a whisk. Stir peanut butter mixture into stew.
5. Stir in handfuls of peanuts to taste
6. Serve with lime wedges
I'm so excited to show you what I'm doing for Jimmy for Valentine's Day! I've been working at it a lot here and there when I have time. It's exciting to have something to prepare for and look forward to. Although Valentine's Day might be a bit of sham for some, it being primarily about money and consumerism, for me it's a reason to celebrate, whether it be with family, friends, or partners. I think we are going out for dinner to a Korean restaurant. So excited to try Korean food!